Monday, January 30, 2012

WIndows and Android

    The reason I picked Microsoft Windows 8 and Google Android 4, is that they both run on ARM v7. Also, there is no vendor lock-in like with the Intel hardware. So why isn't iOS in this? iOS is an Operating System, that only works on EFI locked hardware. What that means is no other operating system can run on your Macintosh, without virtualization, or unsupported EFI. But we are here to talk about Google's latest operating system for ARM devices, Android 4, and Microsoft's own Windows 8.

    Why am I talking about this?  Well, first Ubuntu doesn't seem experienced enough to go up against Microsoft's Windows 8, but this is mostly monetary reasons. Google, with their large capitol of resources, can blow Windows 8 out of the water. I love Ubuntu, but I would have to say goodbye, if companies release it, without choice of operating system. First we see many Linux-only vendors, not transporting to ARM. A good proposition for  a little Multimedia Laptop is, a full 11 inch 720p screen. Inside can be a 32 GB storage card, and the Pandaboard. But the only way this can succeed is if services will allow movie streaming to Ubuntu, and Ubuntu One gives a "deal" on it. Ubuntu One should give 20 GB storage. Why? Cause people will look and say, 32 GB isn't enough, so 20 GB storage will allow them to seamlessly transition to it.

    Well back to Google and Android, what is holding it up from Windows 8? The long term support, since Google has been in the tablet market for 4 years longer then Windows 8. So short term, Google's Android 4 wins.

    Let's be serious, does Windows 8 have a chance of surpassing Android? Seriously yes. The market dies for Windows, but that doesn't mean that Android will not have a chance. Battery life: Windows 8 wins on ARMv7 hardware. Well no doubt, due to the new Windows, and it starting from scratch, allows for it to be very potent, and we may see for the market two very good OS. Lets face it, the only way we can see Android surpassing Windows 8 for good, is if Windows 8 is a bit on the lame side. I can't see why, but we won't know till the day of release. I will be buying a copy for a Pandaboard-ES which I have very little doubt in my mind, since it has 3x as much RAM then what Win8 needs, it won't work. I will do a Android vs Windows 8 video, if only I could find a way to put Android onto an SDHC card.

    So all in all, 2012-2014 seems to be a very interesting span of years, as we see Google taking a bite at Microsoft's business. On the Intel side, you can see nVidia, Texas Instruments, Samsung and Calxeda. I recommend you all to do the Windows 8 vs Android. I am just hoping they sell SDHC bootable Windows 8.

    Well before I say farewell, I want to let you know about June, I will conduct this test, and have a few people try it out.

    Farewell,
        Justinba1010

No comments:

Post a Comment